Sunday, May 2, 2010

Disney Innocent?

The Walt Disney Company is the world's largest media conglomerate. They have everything from movies, television programs, publishing, merchandise and even Theme Parks. For many years children have been viewing and enjoying Disney films and loving Disney, who doesn't love Disney?. Did you know there are subliminal messages in many of the films? All of the subliminal messages are completely sexual and inappropriate for the audience the films were geared towards. A lot of hidden messages have been seen and heard and there are more probably yet to be discovered. Movies such as "The Little Mermaid", "The Lion King", "Aladdin" and many more all of have these sexual inuendos and connotations throughout the films. In the picture above is the kings castle in "The Little Mermaid" and there is a penis right in front. This image is shown several times in the movie and is on the cover of the movie. Also, while prince Eric is getting married to Ursula in disguise the priest has an erection. Now i know that all children might not have picked up on these back in the day but now they might be since children are exposed to a lot more at a younger age. Regardless what message is this sending to children? That everything has to be sexualized even a Disney movie? Throughout the film "The Lion King" the word sex is seen numerous times. Whether it be in the stars at night, in blades of glass, across Simba's head or in the background it's there. In "Aladdin" in the background a voice says very quickly "good teenagers, take off your clothes". I think it's perverted to have such subliminal messages in Disney movies that are specifically geared towards children. But would you expect anything different? I think Disney has secretive agendas including the subliminal messaging as well as being very discriminative towards gender and race. They always have a damsel in distress, a very passive women character who's beautiful with a perfect body. Have you noticed that all the main characters are always white or a human. The characters that are suppose to be African American or Latino are depicted as creatures, animals, evil or criminals. No matter what the specific issue Disney is not innocent because they have inappropriate material geared towards children.
http://cinemaroll.com/animation/6-subliminal-messages-you-never-noticed-in-your-favorite-disney-films

7 comments:

  1. I have mixed feelings when it comes to Disney. I watched every movie when I was a little girl. I loved them and I literally watched them all the time. I never noticed any of the messages or words until they were pointed out for me. This is mostly likely because the age group that these movies are intended for shouldn’t know the slightest thing about sex. I didn’t have a clue at that age so I didn’t even think to look for things like that. Now that I am older and these are pointed out, I’m a little annoyed that these people want to be teaching children this stuff. Why at ten years old should a child see a penis in a picture of the castle? The better question is why these people would even want us to see things like this at such a young age. The media already does enough of advertising sexuality when we become teenagers, so why at such a young age? It’s kind of sad to see this. I am upset that they can do this with pretty much no consequences. Children are still watching Disney movies and I don’t predict that to change anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did hear about these "messages" that were hidden in the movie covers. I was a little shocked and of course curious as to why they did it. I still dont understand the reasoning behind it. Why on earth would Walt disney, the biggest attraction to kids, put this in their movies? And why would they want kids to see these things? Definitly not for educational purposes. I just hope that parents find these, and find them fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really does make you think about why these messages were placed there. I mean was it a joke or some kind of subliminal advertising? I know I watched all of those movies when I was younger. If these are subliminal messages, has these lead to the changes in the views on sex? Is this why society views on sex become so relaxed? If these are subliminal messages, then why is Disney doing this? Have they changed how society thinks and created the stereotypes we all know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont know what to make of this. Its hard not only because in 22 year i have watched almost every single Disney Movie but to understand whats the resoning behind this?, why tru to show children this?. Im just glad that I was worried about looking at other things than paying attention to this quick images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay after seeing Mickey Mouse Monopoly I have felt uneasy about Disney. Their morals and characters are not in any child's best interest. I do not understand why there is a penis on the castle or why in Aladdin a voice is telling teenagers to take off their clothes! What the hell. How is it that they can maintain such an innocent reputation but be responsible for such perverted things? I hate that Disney is a monopoly because kids are not dumb they will pick up on things we may not even realize. Maybe they don't see the penis in the castle but they know that Belle runs back to the Beast after being abused. Things like this are not okay and I for one do not think Disney is innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched every Disney movies growing up and never noticed any of the sexual things I pick up now when watching them. I understand that Disney is definately intentionally doing this but what I don't understand why they do it. Does putting images of penis' in castles that little kids won't even notice sell them more movies?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen sexual images like these in Disney movies before, and I'm pretty apathetic to the entire issue. It's either a joke, or completely unintentional by the artists. In either case, the emphasis is on the word “subliminal.” Nobody can see these things unless they are pointed out to them, especially children who have no idea what to look for, and I have a hard time attacking so-called offensive images that are practically invisible in the first place. There are way more explicit images in the media that should be tackled before we get all hyped up over something most people can't even see. This is the least of Disney's problems.

    ReplyDelete